SNL Policies & Procedures

  • Alpha Sigma Lambda
  • Auditing
  • Books
  • Bridge Program
  • Competence Changes
  • Competence Limits 
  • Course Assessment Forms
  • CTA U-Pass
  • Dean's List
  • DePaul Central
  • Dropping Courses
  • Emergencies and Campus Closings
  • E-mail
  • Exceptions
  • Grades
  • Grade Challenges
  • Grade Submission and Changes  
  • Grade Point Average (GPA) Recalculations
  • Honors and Awards
  • ID Cards
  • Immunizations
  • Incomplete Grades
  • Independent Learning Pursuits
  • Leave of Absence
  • Local Review Board / Institutional Review Bd.
  • Negotiating a Competence
  • Other DePaul Courses
  • Pass / Fail Grades
  • Password Resetting
  • Phi Kappa Phi
  • Program Changes
  • Regulations
  • Repeating Courses
  • Residency Requirements
  • Returning to SNL
  • SNL Student Association
  • Student Handbook
  • Transfer Course Process
  • Tuition and Fees

    • Alpha Sigma Lambda is the premier national honor society for adult students. Founded in 1945 to 'recognize the special achievements of adults who accomplish academic excellence while facing competing interests of family, community and work." More than 450 SNL undergraduate students have been inducted into DePaul's chapter, Delta Lambda Pi, since its inception in 2002.    
      Back to Top

      The School for New Learning does not allow students to audit classes officially or unofficially, whether degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking. Students must pay the appropriate tuition to enroll in an SNL course.

      Back to Top

      Loop campus course materials are available at the bookstore at 1 E. Jackson and also online at
      Suburban campus course materials are available only at 
      SNL Online course materials are available only at
      Back to Top

      Changing Competencies in Completed Courses   
      Students who successfully completed LL 250 Foundations of Adult Learning and activated an Academic Committee may request to change a competence in a previously-completed SNL class. The request must be made within one year of completing the class. The instructor must currently be an SNL faculty member and the requested competence must come only from the list already offered in the course.
      Back to Top

      Back to Top
      Course Assessment Forms   
      At the end of a quarter, SNL faculty complete an assessment form for each student in her or his class.These forms outline learning experiences showing how students developed competence, evidence submitted for how competence was demonstrated and evaluated, and how a student performed in the course. . 
      Back to Top

      Dropping Courses   
      Because of Federal regulations regarding financial aid, DePaul is unable to drop a student with credit from a class after the posted deadline dates regardless of financial arrangements or status. SNL students who need to withdraw from courses must consult the Academic Calendar for deadlines. Additionally, students who withdraw from 11-week late-starting classes within the first two weeks after class has started should contact, and students who withdraw from 5-week classes within the first week after class has started should contact
      Back to Top

      The Exceptions Committee is a college-based committee mandated by DePaul’s Faculty Council. It considers requests on a case-by-case basis when events beyond the control of the student make an exception necessary out of fairness. Requests for exceptions must be sent in writing to In each instance, the decision of the committee is final. If approved, a student can receive only one exception during matriculation at SNL. This committee does not duplicate the work of the Grade Appeals committee.
      Back to Top

      Students will be sent official University, SNL and course emails to the email address marked as 'preferred' in their demographic information in Campus Connect. Students must use this preferred email address to communicate with DePaul faculty and staff. Please note DePaul is not responsible for student communications that are caught in email spam filters. See also E-mail
      Back to Top

      Grade Submission and Changes   
      Grades are submitted online by faculty through Campus Connect and are available to students online after posting. In general, grades are due one week after the 11th week of the quarter. According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment), SNL cannot report grades over the phone or email. Grades below C- in SNL and transfer courses do not satisfy competence and are not counted toward graduation. R grades can be submitted only for LL 250, LL 300, LL 390, FA 303, Guided Independent Studies, and SNL Study Abroad courses.

      Grades are not changed because of a reassessment of course work, the submission of extra work or by the retaking of an examination. In very rare cases, an instructor may request to make a change of grade but it requires approval by the SNL Exceptions Committee.

      The SNL Exceptions Committee will entertain grade change requests from instructors but only where either the student or the instructor has made a compelling case with adequate written supporting documentation that a grade change is warranted for equitable considerations. The mere fact that a student's IN or R grade has reverted to an F is not, in and of itself, sufficient grounds to warrant such an exception..

      If a grade change is deemed appropriate by the Exceptions Committee or through an Incomplete Contract, faculty enter the grade change directly in Campus Connect. Assessment forms must be submitted to
      Back to Top

      Grade Point Average (GPA) Recalculation   
      In order to request the recalculation of your GPA after retaking a class, please complete and submit the GPA Recalculation Request Form. assessment fee ($150) for each ILP. Note quarterly deadlines for submission.
      Back to Top

      Leave of Absence   
      Students who plan not to enroll for more than one quarter must request a leave of absence through Campus Connect under For Students>Withdrawal/ Leave Request.  If not enrolling for one quarter, apply for Continuing Activity Status.
      Back to Top

      Negotiating a Competence   
      Requests to negotiate a competence in an SNL content course are exceptions reserved for students who have successfully completed LL 250 Foundations of Adult Learning, held a First Committee Meeting, and near graduation. See Negotiating Competence Request Form.
      Back to Top

      Other DePaul Courses    
      Students are permitted to take courses in other DePaul colleges, provided prerequisites of the college or department are met. Use Campus Connect to register. Please note tuition per credit hour is different for courses in other DePaul colleges.
      Back to Top

      Pass /  Fail Grades    
      Three SNL courses are always assessed Pass/Fail and may not be taken for a letter grade: LL 250 Foundations of Adult Learning, FA 303 Advanced Project and LL 390 Summit SeminarDownload a letter explaining Pass / Fail grades. Six other courses are assessed Pass/Fail but may be taken for a letter grade: LL 103 Independent Learning Seminar, LL 140 Writing Workshop, LL 260 Writing to Competence, LL 270 Critical Thinking, LL 300 Research Seminar, and LL 302 Externship.  

      In addition, students have the option of taking all SNL undergraduate courses, up to a total of 20 credit hours, as Pass/Fail even if a class is initially structured for a letter grade assessment.  In these cases a Pass is awarded when competence is demonstrated at a level that would otherwise earn a grade of C- or higher.  Competencies awarded for Independent Learning Pursuits and in the Lifelong Learning (LL) subject area do not count toward the limit of 20 hours. In deciding to select Pass/Fail grading students should be aware that competencies assessed in a course as Pass will earn credit hours toward degree completion but will not be included in computing grade point averages.  Attempted competence demonstration assessed within a class as Fail will not only be recorded as credit hours attempted but will also be included in computing a student’s grade point average. If a student wishes to switch to or from Pass/Fail, this must be requested from the instructor in writing during the first two weeks of the quarter.  The assessment style may not be changed after this period, with no exceptions.
      Back to Top

      Program Changes   
      To change your program plan, login to Campus Connect and choose: For Students, then Records and Registration, Change College, Major or Minor, Select College, Degree Program, Concentration, or Minor. Select your options and confirm the change. You will receive a confirmation email and your Degree Progress Report will reflect new requirements.

      You can change programs within SNL such as to the BA (BA with Individualized Focus), the BAGB (General Business), or the BAC (Computing). For the BAC, select a Focus Area Track, called a concentration. Review the available tracks and consult with your advisor before making the change. For the BAECE (Early Childhood Education) program, select the College of Education and then BAECE SNL Joint Degree program. For the SNL DCM (Degree Completion Majors), call 312.362.8001 or email snldcm@depau.edul
      You can also select minors offered by other DePaul colleges or to move to another DePaul college. Note the "What-If " Degree Progress Report does not provide the maximum-allowed placement of courses into your new program. Contact an advisor to find out how your courses will apply.
      Back to Top

      Students are subject to all regulations as published in the DePaul University Bulletins and Student Handbook.
      Back to Top

      Tuition and Fees    
      $570 per undergraduate credit hour (Summer 2014 - Spring 2015)
      Assessment Fee for Independent Learning: $150 - note ILPs carry no tuition credit and do not count for half-time status.  
      Proficiency Exam Fee (L4, L5, L6, S5): $150 - note Proficiency Exams carry no tuition credit and do not count for half-time status.
      Financial aid disbursements require students to be registered at least half-time per quarter (6 undergraduate credit hours)

      Back to Top